PC#03 – Develop Work Breakdown Structure – WBS
Upon successful completion of this module, participants will have an overall idea about the steps involved, purpose and benefits of developing a project work breakdown structure.
Level : Basic
- Form the team for developing the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS). Since there are multiple disciplines involved, a cross functional team is better.
- Develop the product breakdown (PBS) structure based on the deliverables of the project.
- Superimpose the PBS with the activities to be performed to build those deliverables to arrive at the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) . WBS is a deliverable oriented grouping of work. It does not provide any sequencing of work.
- The lowest level in the WBS are the work packages. Allocate unique codes to the work packages for better tracking / control.
- WBS dictionaries provide additional information about the work packages like;
- Narration of work
- Quality standards to be followed
- Special considerations etc.
- While developing the work breakdown structure, the project strategy also evolves (partnerships, outsourcing, made in house, distributed development, modular development, reporting requirements, pre-fabrication etc)
- Once the WBS is developed and approved, that becomes the basis for all further planning.
Project Green Woods – Case study
Project ‘Green Woods’ is a housing project on the suburbs of the city, and comprises of 127 independent villas to be constructed and commissioned within 12 calendar months. The land is acquired, and the overall survey of the location is done. The project planning is about to start. You are in charge of the planning team. The following are the steps you will take to arrive at the work breakdown structure.
Product breakdown structure
Product Breakdown Structure (PBS), is the high level breakup of the product of the project. Here is the PBS for the Green Woods project;
Work breakdown structure
The Product Breakdown Structure (PBS) is super imposed with work that need to be done to create those deliverables to arrive at the Work Breakdown Structure (WBS). The work breakdown structure (WBS) can take a tree structure or list structure.
WBS List structure
WBS – Dictionary
WBS dictionaries provide additional information about the work to be performed. While developing the WBS, WBS dictionaries are also developed. WBS dictionaries ensure that the person who is performing the work have sufficient information to do it right, the first time. The diagram below shows the WBS dictionary for the work package 1.2.1 of the Project green woods example.
Take this test